Lost Sock Creations

Lost Sock Creations
what it's all about...

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Creative Cuts, using an art knife to make masterpieces!


I found this book over the Summer and was so excited and inspired by all of the ideas it held.
I could not wait for the school year to begin so I could start letting my advanced art 8th graders using the knifes!
Cut Up This Book by Emily Hogwarth
POSITIVE & NEGATIVE SYMMETRICAL DESIGNS
My 8th grade advanced art students are learning how to use an art knife properly. 
I had them cut our designs using both the positive and negative spaces as part of their design.
I think they turned out great. 
These are just the beginning of some amazing things they will be doing.






to see more examples on my school page, go to

http://classroom.mineolaisd.net/webs/seatont/positive_negative_symmetrical_designs.htm

After they completed thier symmetrical designs, we moved on to bigger and better ideas.
I decided to begin a lesson about cutting, but instead of keeping those little bitty negative pieces like the last assignment, we were able to toss those in the trash. I gave all the students a white posterboard. They were told to do a timeless design (landscape, quote, inspirational idea) on thier poster. But, they had to think before they drew. They had to know that each cut would come out. So, I suggested them to use smaller shapes rather than large. When large shapes are cut out, the structure begins to be floppy. It needs supports left into the design to make a nicer quality piece.
These designs were mean to be put into a window to allow the light to gleam through the negative spaces creating a design on the ground below. After we were done, we laminated them to keep them staying together and for extra support and sheild from weathering.









 
2013 creation








1 comment:

  1. i guess its better to adopt some of new ways of finding the lost one.
    Lost and found

    ReplyDelete